CHINA: What Can You Possibly Do There for 8 Days?

China has been on top of my bucket list. And having done a little bit of research, I was all too aware of the stricter rules of the Communist state that is Xi Jinping’s Chinese government.
Tiananmen Square

How To Get A Tourist Visa for China
I secured a copy of my condo title, certification from the bank showing at least P50K and an NBI clearance. All done in a week.

I was traveling with two friends.

We made an appointment with the Chinese Embassy. Located at 2nd Floor, the World Center, 330 Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue, Makati City, Metro Manila.

Appointment Day
Although I was running a little late that day, I wasn't too worried. My friends were already at the embassy, even before it opens at 9AM.

NBI HIT
I had a ‘hit’ on my NBI clearance. Meaning I had to go back to the their office in Monumento to get my clearance fixed. That same freakin’ day with my appointment with the Chinese embassy.
NBI Hit

I was one of the first 100+ people in line at the NBI. I thought I'll be at least one of the first 20 in line for waking up so early. I guess you can never be too early to this sort of government-related errands. When is this government bureaucracy gets any better?

I arrived at the NBI office way before 7 AM. Naturally, I was switched to a panic mode very quickly after seeing the long line.

But much to my surprise, I found myself running out of the NBI office with my clearance paper in hand only after an hour. Apparently, if you’re in for a ‘hit’ verification, it is much faster.

Darn NBI clerk mistyped my last name with a single ‘l’ instead of the double 'l' that have caused all these time-wasting aggravations.

Anyway, it was only 8AM. I have good enough time. It brought me back to my calm self again. I did a quick breakfast then rode the LRT to Libertad and bus to Makati.

Chinese Embassy
I ran upstairs to the second floor. My friends were already queued and I cut in line.

Just before lunch, we were all done. Considering I was asked to get another set of photos; go back at the counter again with the correct photos.

The photos I had with me did not meet the criteria. I had the wrong background color! I ran outside. Looked for a photo shop around the vicinity.

I got the photos, went back up and re-submitted.

The nice Chinese lady at the counter said, the processing time depends on the service I am willing to pay. Regular Service, Express Service, or Rush Service. I said, ‘I would go with the P1,400 Regular Service.’

Four days later, we went back to the consular office for the visa pick-up. I was given a one-month visa while my friends got 2 weeks.

‘We only needed 7 days anyway’, I said to my friends to appease their slight disappointment. Besides, we have no plans on staying in China a day more than our intended 8-days stay. There's a hefty fine of 500 Yuan per day for overstaying. Or worst, get detained by the Chinese army!

30 Day Tourist Visa
You may want to seek assistance in obtaining visa from various travel agencies to the tune of P1.5k to P3k on top of the actual visa fee. Good option if you don't want to go through all the troubles.
30-Day Chinese Visa

Once you get your visa, use it or it will die a natural death in 90 days.

Required Documents for Tourist Visa
1. Philippine Passport
2. Visa Application Form completely filled. You can download a copy here.
3. 48mm x 33mm color photo, glue to the application form. (Very important, white background)
4. Copy of previous visa if any.
5. An invitation letter issued by Hotel Reservation or Authorized Travel Agency or a copy of return ticket.
6. BIR-Stamped income tax return form, recent 6 mos bank statement, and original bank receipt are required.

Please Google for current updates.

Please continue reading on to PART 2.
A really awesome China!

Back to the ➡️ MAIN MENU