LOBO, BATANGAS

Malabrigo Lighthouse and the Mangrove Forest. These are the points of interest in Lobo, Batangas, Philippines.

MALABRIGO LIGHTHOUSE
Malabrigo Lighthouse, also known as Faro de punta de Malabrigo, was built by the Chinese contractor Jose Garcia in 1896, during the Spanish colonial period. This lighthouse was declared National Historical Landmark on Nov 27, 2006.


The view is of course nothing short of spectacular both over the horizon and the sea shore below the high cliff. There are steps going down the cliff if you like to swim in the crystal-clear blue water below.


LOBO
Less than an hour drive from Batangas City. Not really known for anything other than its Malabrigo Lighthouse. Lobo is actually a small coastal town with many beaches.

I have been to Malabrigo Lighthouse once before. And only because a friend invited us to go here in Lobo that I made this second visit.

Brgy Lagadlarin
We stayed overnight at Brgy Lagadlarin, near the the town center.


It is a fishing village although my friends house is nowhere near the shore. But a short walk from the house is a mangrove park called the Mangrove Forest.

MANGROVE FOREST
Because of the unbearable heat of the mid-day during our visit, we first checked out the mangrove park as it sounded cooler than going to the beach.

We entered the park on an elevated bamboo pathway that is impressively long and winding. It leads to several interesting stops. These stops provided benches and swings under the canopies of the mangroves. Great spots to sit and relax. I'd say the tree house is the center piece of the forest. High enough to give you a partial view of the mountain and the blue sea nearby. The chirps of the birds and the cool wind up above is definitely a welcome relief to the very hot weather.

LAGADLARIN BEACH
We headed down the beach before sundown as it got a bit cooler. A typical fishing village kind of a beach. Cramp with fishing bancas strewn all over the grey-sand beach. This beach is also lined up with native huts of videoke bars plus a few resorts far apart further down. Videokes are not my thing so definitely this place is not my kind of place to unwind.

There's really nothing much else to do in this place. Just wanted the day to go faster but it didn't seem to go that way.

And at night, I ended up sleeping inside the car, as it seemed to be the better option for me given the situation. My friends slept in the house. They're not too concerned with mosquito bites. I have way too many terrible experiences with mosquito bites lately. I developed a phobia with mosquitoes.

LOBO MARKET
There were no restaurants in and around Lagadlarin. We bought our groceries at the wet market in Lobo to cook.


The wet market is small like the town center is small. The only happening thing in this town is a Seven-Eleven.

Lobo or Batangas in general, has fruits that they are known for. Skinned ripe tamarinds were plentiful at the market. These sweet soury taste fruits makes my mouth watery even by just thinking about it. Atis are also plenty. It is one of my favorite fruits. The seneguelas were crazy plentiful. We passed through trees and trees and trees of seneguelas along the coastline of Batangas.


Green Eggplants
The eggplants in Lobo are uniquely green in color. I did not see the usual purple ones. I thought it was unripe but apparently that's just the way they are.


And because barangay Lagadlarin lacks any restaurants or eateries, except this lone lomi house which ofcourse not a plant-based, it made me do a couple of trips back to the town center to look for something to eat.

And it is 7-11 of all places, where normally I wouldn't go except for a bottled water. I was glad to have found something good enough for an afternoon snacks, when all the food offerings in the barangay were lomis.


LOMI
Lomi is synonymous to Batangas. There are lomi houses in almost every corner in any barangays. Lomi is a dish of thick noodle soup that's usually comes with meat.

The other time I had to go to 7-11 again was during breakfast the next morning. When my friends were still aslept pass 8 am and my stomach was rumbling.

I found some bibingka at the wet market. The bibinka looks great with coffee. Bibinkas are sweet delicacy made of sticky rice and melted raw brown sugar on top. I paired it with a cup of brewed coffee☕ at 7-11.
 

Back to the ➡️ MAIN MENU